Tuesday, June 8, 2010

No Different.

I do not hide my diabetes. Nor do I broadcast it (well, I guess unless you count this blog). Most people find out along the course of our friendship, usually by means of happening to see my pump, medic bracelet or me drinking Diet Coke.

This summer though, for some reason I just tried to keep it hidden, unless someone actually noticed. And slowly, more and more people have found out. Some responses were just indifferent, maybe a few questions.

But, there has been something I've noticed about most of the responses. A look. A look on their faces, in their eyes. Of shock and surprise... and not in the way of, "wow, you have diabetes..." but it's more a look of, "she has diabetes... and she's normal..." (or at least normal as I can be).

Did I keep it quiet so people would get to know me for me, and not as the diabetic girl? Maybe. Probably. Am I insecure about my diabetes? No.

I was thinking the other day about how society views normalcy. How quickly people tag others as weird, or different. God didn't make us all the same. It doesn't matter how someone dresses, what their hobbies are, where they're from, how they talk, etc. We should enjoy the fellowship of other believers, and rejoice in the fact that we share in the relationship with Christ with them.

I'm not writing this from the view of thinking I don't judge. Just last week I saw a young lady walking alongside the city street wearing a fanny pack, and chuckled a little. A girl here on staff was doing cross-stitch the other day. My first thought was, "That's a little..." and then I stopped and replaced the thought with, "Yeah. I used to do that too."

I'm diabetic. Call me weird.
I don't follow fashion. Call me different.
I love reading. Call me a nerd.

None of it should matter. God MADE us different.

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember what my reaction was when I found out you were diabetic- but I know nothing like that would ever change how amazing you are. I love reading about your experiences and lessons learned at camp! Even reading your blog has made me examine myself and has been a part of the growth of my relationship with Christ.

    As I was reading your blog today, its made me think of a verse I read earlier in an email::

    There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. 1 Corinthians 12:5


    Praying for you while you are away that God will use you in amazing ways! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I loved this. Often times I think we can start to see ourselves as 'damaged goods' if you will, but you helped reinforce that diabetes doesn't mean we're not as good as non-diabetics. Like you said, God made everyone different, and he did it for a reason. Personally, I have yet to figure out WHY diabetes, but that's something completely different, haha.

    This was extremely encouraging :] Exactly what I needed to read tonight.
    <3

    ReplyDelete