Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tuttle Angel.

A week ago today, I was trying to come to terms with the fact that my grandmother had just passed away. This was a lot harder to do from 1200 miles away, with no friends around (and Aaron an hour away).

So thankful that God worked it out with flights (cost and schedule), and being able to take off work. My bosses were so kind to let me have off as much time as I needed. I know I would have regretted not going, nor would have I gotten the closure.

I saw some family that I hadn't seen in a few years, which was also nice - even though I wish it had been under different circumstances. It hit me as we drove up to my grandma's house for the first time, to see my parents, and realize that my grandma was not going to be inside.

I heard a story last week about a family that had prayed and prayed for the mom to be healed of cancer, and when she died, the son realized that she had been healed. She went to be with her Heavenly Father, free of pain and sickness. Just like my grandma. My grandma did not die from cancer, it was kind of a sudden death. She had been dealing with heart problems, thyroid problems, diabetes, among numerous other health issues. She was always a fighter.

Over the course of the last few days, I heard nothing but good things about my grandma. She raised her kids right, instilled good values, loved the Lord and her huge family - 9 kids (and spouses), 23 grandchildren (with some spouses), and 19 great-grandchildren.

Throughout college, at Bible studies and such, I heard about and studied about a Proverbs 31 woman. That passage was read during the service on Thursday, and it brought tears to my eyes because I realized how incredibly true it was in my grandma's life. She embodied that passage.

This is going to sound cliché, but it is entirely true. I hope that I am as good of a wife, mother, grandmother and friend as my grandma was in her life. Everyone knew she loved the Lord, without her ever pushing it on you. Just the way she acted and loved on everyone showed God's character.

What was more upsetting was seeing her kids having to deal with so much, and trying to imagine losing my own mother. Yes, I am/was sad about my grandma's death, but it brings me joy (and makes me a liiiiittle jealous) that she is in the arms of Jesus right now. I'm not sure if I believe if she can see or hear us, because I think all she is doing is praising her Heavenly Father. I know she is free of pain and disease, and her life has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment