Monday, November 23, 2009

Don't Look; Be.

At church, our pastor is doing a series on five things to do/experience before you die. Today's "thing" was to have one true friendship.

One true friendship that is not your spouse.

John 15:12-14 says, "This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command."

The Bible says we should love others because God loves us, and love others in that way. In the words of our pastor, "Love God, love others, love yourself. In that order."

Don't be selfish... carry yourself third.

True friendship isn't found by looking, but by being that true friend. Kind of like, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. How can you treat someone like crap and expect them remain your friend?

The story in 1 Samuel 18 (thru 20) talks about David and Jonathan and their friendship. They had a strong friendship because their friendship wasn't just based on each other, but on their commitment to God; they let nothing come between then, and drew closer when their friendship was tested.

Part of friendships is healthy confrontations.. letting the other one know when they're in the wrong. Don't avoid these. As our pastor said, true friendships form when you can both say the last 10%... the 10% being the part where you say what's wrong.

Best friends will not only defend you in front of others, but say the last 10%, and stay beside you.

God has blessed me with amazing friends... amazing. I'm not saying my friends are better than yours. I'm saying I have the best friends for me. And I try SO hard to be that to them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment