Monday, November 9, 2009

Self-Destruct.

This is probably just going to ramble and not flow very well.... so just brace yourself.

The sermon on Sunday was about forgiveness. The pastor challenged us to (before we die) live one day without any resentment/bitterness towards anyone. On the other side of that, acknowledge that you are the reason for someone else's pain or anger. I know I've hurt people, and even though I've (mostly) let go of the anger towards people who've hurt me.... I can't be certain that the same has been done for me. Which, I'm the type of person that - if you hate me, then that's not my problem. But, I would hope that people would at least forgive me.

My pastor said, "Forgiveness isn't pretending it never happened, unlimited second chances or just forgetting." He went on to say that it's forgiving their wrongs, remembering it but not holding a grudge. I use to be able to hold a grudge with the best of 'em... but now I look back, and what was the point in that? What was gained?


I guess the messages were heard backwards, because tonight at Bible study we talked about our actions and judging others. (Hosea 8, in case you were wondering.) No one is perfect. But, there are things we can work on. Tonight was a lot about how we tend to put things or people in front of God, and turn to those instead of/before God. It continued onto facing God's judgement, and those who deserve praise will be praised - and those who don't.... won't. Knowing you're in the wrong and not changing your behavior is just putting you on the path to destruction. (That's one of the verses paraphrased.) And although the Bible says we are to point out the sins of others, it's not our place to judge. God places the ultimate judgement.


Today, I read something, and my favorite blurb said, "In being immersed in the Bible, the words became part of who I am. They infuse my attitude and my actions. Over time, I don’t so much think, ‘now what is the Biblical approach here?’ I just do it. But not in my own strength, my own authority, but through Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit. I seek to be immersed in the Word so that it becomes part of my thinking and my actions. I seek to live the Word, that who I am reflects the love of God." I think lately, my struggle isn't not seeking His word... but sharing that joy and desires to others. It's hard to not become stationary in your faith, I believe, if you aren't seeking His word daily (or every other day at least...).

"We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment