Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Outside the Lines.

Two years ago, no one could believe that I wasn't going to be a KSU Wildcat... that I was going to Texas. Texas!  

This doubt came with good reason. I was born and raised a KSU fan, when I became old enough to start forming my own opinions... I didn't change. I hardly watched KSU sports, and didn't step foot on campus until I was a sophomore in high school. I didn't know sports statistics, or know anything about the school - yet I claimed to love KSU. My room was so full of KSU memorabilia, you would've thought I had applied to attend there when I was 10 years old. And I admit, I still get a little excited if I hear or see news about KSU sports. 

But, something inside of me changed the summer before my senior year. I'm not sure what, but I started going on campus tours... and decided I wanted to be different. I didn't want to follow my classmates and half of my school alumni up to Manhattan. (Side note: WT's art program was also a lot better.)

I don't think I could even begin to count the number of times I heard something along the lines of, "But you don't know anyone down there!" What some people didn't seem to realize was, that was the point. I grew up in this small town where everyone knew everything about everyone. I wanted out. We've all heard that college is about re-creating yourself, new starts, etc. I didn't re-create myself, or lie about my past - but I've definitely changed.

As if barely coming home during the year wasn't enough of a shock to friends/classmates, there was more shock when people found out I wasn't coming home for the summer. But why would I? Honestly. I don't keep in contact with very many people back home, I wouldn't have a decent job, and let's face it - being home is boring. My parents and I have talked about all of this, they just say I've adjusted well to college. I'd have to agree... I mean, I consider Canyon all but home. 

And so far, staying here for the summer has definitely proved to be the right choice. Hanging out with some of my best friends, two well-paying jobs, fitness class, hiking in Palo Duro, going to the lake, and soon - roadtrips! 



Coincidentally, my mom chose to recite this quote for my portion in the senior slideshow at graduation last year:

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson





1 comment:

  1. wow.. I read that quote and it litterally gave me chills. lol

    for whats its worth, I'm glad you came to Texas

    :)

    ReplyDelete