Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Runner's Knee Hurts Everywhere.

At the beginning of the semester, I thought it would be good to try and two work-outs a day a few times a week. 

... and tonight, I just finished my fourth work-out of today. Yes, fourth. 
Crazy? No.
Health nut? Yes. :) 

I take a fitness class for an hour and a half, four mornings of the week. It only lasts a month, but I'm going to miss a few days - luckily, we can "make-up" three classes. So, rather than have to do make-ups that last week, I go early every so often in the morning and work-out before class. Yes, I worked-out before my fitness class. 

Two work-outs done, and after lunch I go to physical therapy for this chondromalacia'd knee. In the words of my PT lady, "beat yourself up in the morning to fix yourself in the afternoon." I mentioned being a health nut earlier... well, here's some evidence - I enjoy physical therapy. Mostly because it's just a leg work-out and it's painful like physical therapy is for some. 

But today, my PT lady got me thinking. She asked how often I work-out, 5 or 6 times a week? No, I work-out every day. Curious, she asked why. I just smiled and said, "Discipline." I know myself, if I miss one day, it's easy to say the next day, "Eh, just one more day." I laughed about her comment at dinner with Marci, but for some reason I couldn't stop thinking about the talk at PT. The lady said, "Yeah, it almost becomes kind of a thrill." Then I remembered, that's why I work-out - and what most of my friends lack in their work-outs. 

First of all, I consider it one of the few things that you can work hard at and see long-term results. I kept straight A's all throughout high school... for nothing (with the exception of some scholarships). Yes, I learned a lot and it felt good to be recognized a few times. But, working out gives results you can see now (or at least, in a few months) and long-term benefits - which I definitely need seeing as I'm diabetic. 

Second of all, in my eyes, music or chocolate don't even begin to compare to running (or some form of cardio if you're temporarily half-crippled like me) as a stress reliever. I always heard the term, "runner's high," and never understood it. In fact, if you knew me in high school (that being, a year ago) I dreaded/hated/avoided running. Now, I'm about to go crazy because I haven't been able to run in about a month. It's almost indescribable, just getting on the treadmill and going for 20-30 minutes. Some people hate running on treadmills, they want a change of scenery. Personally, I hate it... a) I haven't learned how to pace myself yet, b) too many distractions. I'll admit it - when I'm running, I pretty much talk to myself. The treadmill is where I work-out my worries, my problems. Plus, being able to say I ran 2 miles is pretty satisfactory. 

Third, I admit (finally) that I am a health nut/work-out fanatic. There's the satisfaction you get while you're working out, but knowing I'm in some of the best shape I've ever been in? I feel better physically, but mentally I feel a lot better about myself - even in those moments during/after work-outs when I can barely walk. But, being healthy isn't just about exercise, eating healthy is just as essential. I haven't eaten pasta in 6 months, only eaten pizza three times in six months, and ...minimal fries and desserts. I don't even think of that as a diet, it's part of being healthy, I just changed my eating habits. 

Side note: Earlier this year, I thought maybe I should change my major from art to sports and exercise sciences or something along that line. But, I hate math and science... but more than that, I don't think I could tell people what's wrong with their bodies and/or how to fix it. I don't mind helping friends out in the weight room, but I don't have the perfect body (and have been much worse), and have suffered enough criticism because of it that I couldn't do that to someone else. 



"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." -- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. 

2 comments:

  1. Discipline and I are friends. I had a rockin' workout at the Y yesterday. Today, I returned to the Y. To sit my butt in the hot tub. :) That's DEDICATION!!!! ;)

    Oh, and even though you're in art, you better take a small biz or personal finance class .... gotta know how to price/value/maintain your art as a business (this is experience speaking here honey!).

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up Marketing as my minor this spring! :)

    ReplyDelete