Friday, July 24, 2009

Fat Fish.

"God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death." -- James 1:12-15

Last night at Bible study, we talked about temptation and lust and how it affects our walk with Christ. Temptation being anything from cinnamon rolls (haha!) to the hot guy that walks by work every afternoon. We're tempted everyday, and sometimes it becomes a test of your faith. 

Lust is not just a sexual lust, wanting someone. It's desiring... to make everyone happy, to look a certain way, to have something. When does desire become sin? When your desire for that thing becomes stronger than your desire to follow God's will. 

We talked about "bait" ... about what lures you away from God, what tempts you. I knew it was bad that I could think of a few things immediately, but I guess, maybe it's good that I realize what "baits" me, because then the problem is easier to fix. 

In 1 Corinthians, it says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." My dad and I talked about this once, how our body is a temple and that's why we should eat healthier and stay in shape, etc. But, compared to how we were "staying healthy" at the time of that talk and right now... I have drastically changed. Not that I have an eating disorder or a serious problem, I'm fully capable of splurging or skipping a work-out. I just consider myself very disciplined. But, last night I realized my desire to be in shape, or healthy, or a certain size has become a big part of my life. I've got my priorities out of line, and I need to fix it. 

In high school, I sometimes thought that having a boyfriend would make everything better. My first semester of college, I finally realized that frame of mind was entirely wrong. And I have maintained that mind set, don't get me wrong. But, (like any other girl) I see guys all that time and it's so easy to just be like "oh, he's cute..." I never considered this lust, and I don't consider this desire stronger than to follow God.. but it's something I thought about last night and need to fix. 

Fat fish is the term used last night... when you're fully following God and doing his will. Fat fish don't give in to temptation. Fat fish don't take the bait. 

It's not about what I want or need, it's about who God wants me to be and do. 

It's God's timing, not our own. 


1 comment: